The BC Coastal Navigation Course is the safety course prerequisite for the (BCU 4 Star) Sea Kayak Leader award. This coastal Navigation course is a full 8 hour off water day in the class room.
Course cost. $150.00/pp
- To interpret sources of information including maps, charts, coastal pilots and tide tables
- To navigate on the water using visual references and simple pilotage techniques e.g. transits and dead reckoning
- Effective use of a compass
- To be able to source, interpret and apply weather information to the coastal environment
- By the end of the course each student should have planned at least 2 coastal journeys that they can take home as references for further trip planning in North America and United Kingdom waters.
- Explorer the use of a one hour tidal vectors.
- To be aware of the range of resources required to plan trips in the coastal environment
- Students should be made aware of the role of the Coastguard and the value of liaising with them.
The current syllabus and guidance notes for the Star Sea Kayak Leader award can be found on the PNA and BC UK web sites. The BC current syllabus and guidance notes can be found on the Paddle Sports North America web site www.paddlesportsnorthamerica.org