BC Safety Award. Coastal Navigation and Tidal Planning.
April 22 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$150.00
This course is designed for those paddlers carrying out coastal journeys including islands up to 2 nautical miles offshore in areas of tidal movement up to 2 knots and is a prerequisite for those seeking their British Canoeing Sea Kayak Leader Award. However, anyone wishing to undertake journeys on the sea using a kayak would find the technical and theoretical aspects not only useful, but essential for safe travel in the marine environment! This course is designed to complement the areas covered in the British Canoeing Sea Kayak Leader Training.
The aim of this course is to give the student the tools to enable them to plan and navigate effectively on coastal journeys in moderate sea conditions. This will include the following aspects:
- To interpret sources of information including maps, charts, coastal pilots and tide tables
- To navigate on the water using visual references and simple pilotage techniques e.g. transits and dead reckoning
- Effective use of a compass
- To be able to source, interpret and apply weather information to the coastal environment
- By the end of the course each student should have planned at least 2 coastal journeys that they can take home as references for further trip planning To be aware of the range of resources required to plan trips in the coastal environment
Students should be made aware of the role of the Coastguard and the value of liaising with them
Equipment required for course
- Silva type 4 or similar compass suitable for map work
- 2B pencils and eraser
- Recommended course book Sea Kayak Navigation, Franco Ferrero (2nd Edition, 2007).
Venue and duration
The course is a minimum of 8 hours duration, (1-day or several modules).
Whilst this is a classroom-based course the intention is that it is highly practical and not a lectured syllabus. The students must participate in a variety of practical planning exercises using the resources provided. This will constitute a minimum of 50% of the course time.
Attendance certificates are issued to successful candidates by their Delivery Centre following a recommendation from the course provider. BC Filing Fees not included, but need to be payable during the course.
Please register via this link.
- Greg , Kayak Waveology
- New England Science and Sailing Foundation
72 Water Street
Stonington Ct, 06378 United States + Google Map