- This event has passed.
British Canoeing. Coastal Navigation & Tidal Planning Course. Stonington Ct.
April 8, 2017 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$150
The BC Coastal Navigation Course is the safety course prerequisite for the BCU 4 Star Sea Leader award. This coastal Navigation course is a full 8 hour off water day in the class room. Hours are from 9am - 4pm with a lunch break. You will receive a certificate from British Canoeing via Paddle Sports North America upon your successful completion of this course.
Course cost. $150.00/pp
- To interpret sources of information including maps, charts, coastal pilots and tide tables
- To navigate on the water using visual references and simple pilotage techniques e.g. transits and dead reckoning
- Effective use of a compass
- To be able to source, interpret and apply weather information to the coastal environment
- By the end of the course each student should have planned at least 2 coastal journeys that they can take home as references for further trip planning
- To be aware of the range of resources required to plan trips in the coastal environment
- Students should be made aware of the role of the Coastguard and the value of liaising with them.
The current syllabus and guidance notes for the BCU 4 Star Leader award can be found on the PNA and BC UK web sites. The BC current syllabus and guidance notes can be found on the Paddle Sports North America web site www.paddlesportsnorthamerica.org
Register Via pay pal to secure your spot on this course.
- Greg , Kayak Waveology